Monday, April 6, 2009

My Update from 04/06/09 - Recapping my Days with the Aunts

It’s a rainy Monday and my step-foster parents are back from their vacation. I told you about my arrival in my new foster home in my last “blog.” (By the way, I don’t mind the rain one bit, but I hate getting wiped off with the towel) I had SOO much fun with aunt Sue and aunt Lori. Aunt Sue is so lively! She talks loud and laughs a lot, and she kept saying she wanted to take me home to meet her parents and all the other GSPs in the neighborhood. I wish I could have gone to the shore, but turns out, I had kennel cough. The nice vet they took me too gave me antibiotics and I am feeling much better now. They said it was just a mild case.

Since Thelma and Otis had already been around me for days, and they have their shots, I still got to hang out with them. This was the first day Otis and I really got to know each other. We ran after the ball, wrestled in the grass – I love my doggie friends. I learn a lot from them too and they help me be more confident

On Thursday, we had a dinner party and though, I was scared at first, I let each person pet me as the night went on. After company left, we watched some TV and I curled up on my new bed while aunt Sue pet me. She wanted to take me to bed with her, but aunt Lori said no. It would have been my first time sleeping with a person and I think I would have liked it, but I know they are trying to teach me to stay independent. And any way, I don’t mind being in my crate. I feel safe and comfortable there. (I still try and jump on the big people bed when no one is looking! One day I know they will say yes.)

Luckily my aunts slept a little later than Sandy – so I didn’t have to get up until 7 am. We went for walks; we lounged on the deck – there are so many noises I hear. Sometimes a train honks in the distance; sometimes a plane goes by in the sky; or our neighbor Lili the miniature poodle barks. I stop and listen to each noise and barked right back at Lili. When aunt Lori told me to quiet down I did. I pretty much understand when I am doing something I am not supposed if someone firmly says no.

Aunt Sue did lots of cooking and I liked to curl up in my bed and watch her. She even made us cookies! They were delicious and Otis was happy because I tend to leave crumbs on the floor when I chew my treats. Aunt Lori moves the bed to whatever room we are in and I know it’s mine. I heard them saying how sweet and good I was. I do like to run and play, but inside, I am pretty much a mush. I have this lounging thing down to a science.

When I walk now, my tail isn’t always tucked and I try to hold my head high. All my human friends marvel about how well I have adapted to house living, especially because I always know to do my “duty” outside. I still have some worries that I don’t tell any one about, but I am sure they can see it on my face. (Maybe that’s why everyone I meet falls in love with me.) It’s hard to believe how good I have it now and sometimes I am scared it will all go away! I know I can’t stay here forever, but my entire extended foster family PROMISED me I would go to a place just as good or even better, with people that will love me forever and treat me the way I deserve!

No comments:

Post a Comment